The eyes are one of the most important parts of our body. Like many other parts, they also have beautifully complex structures, and it becomes vital to protect them. The eyelids, as well as the eyebrows, the eyelashes and their composition play this role of protecting the eyes.
The eyes have not only one function but also aesthetics are essential for everyone, the beauty of the face and the look, the charm of the eyes. The eyelids are very important, any problem concerning them is a problem for us. Yet, thanks to advancements in medical technology, most of the problems that we have regarding eyelids are easily solved by eyelid surgery which is blepharoplasty.
Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is a surgical process, in which you can have any restoration or modification on your eyelids. It corrects any distortion of your upper and lower eyelids, extracts excess muscle, fat and skin tissue in and around the eyelids, and eliminates bags and wrinkles under the eyes. However, there are several types of eyelid surgery. In this sense, you can find operations like double eyelid surgery, upper eyelid surgery in our hospitals.
And if you are looking for more specific operations like lower eyelid surgery and drooping eyelid surgery, our doctors can help you with their expertise.
The first and most important part of any medical operation is actually not the operation itself, but the preoperative examination part, the diagnosis. Any experienced surgeon would know this and should want a detailed medical history of your health.
Please don't hide anything and make sure you don't skip any details. Your current state of health can affect both the operation, which also leads to more serious difficulties and the success rate of the operation. You should also talk about your expectations and hesitations. So the first rule is to be open to your surgeon and do whatever he says.
The second is the exam part. Our doctors complete this part in three steps. First, our experts will check your eyelids. By doing this, they can define the problem. Next, your surgeon examines your visual capacity.
Some people need eyelid surgery because their eyelids prevent the eyes from seeing. Thus, surgeons must affirm the specifications with an ophthalmological visual examination.
The last step is where they take pictures of your eyelids in order to plan the surgery.
This process, like many others, requires anesthesia. You can have local or general anesthesia depending on your needs and the specifications of the surgery. Your age and state of health will also help us determine this phase.
Droopy eyelids are also called ptosis or blepharoptosis. It is the medical condition where your upper eyelid is lower when you open your eyes than expected.
As you age, the muscles that support your eyelids weaken. It can be a single eyelid or both. Droopy eyelids are not an immediate danger. However, in severe cases, you can lose your sight because the eyelids obstruct your eyes.
Our surgeons, like with double eyelid surgery, use an incision to work on your eyelid. Our doctor will operate on the muscles, nerves, veins and other tissues in your eyelid that cause them to droop and will strengthen the weakened muscles that hold your eyelids together.
Upper and lower eyelids:
On the other hand than droopy eyelids, there are many other types of eyelid deformity. Our experienced surgeons can help you solve your eyelid issues. These problems can be in your upper or lower eyelid, or in your eye, or both.
The procedures at the start and end of the operation are the same as explained above. When our doctors operate on your upper eyelid, they open the incisions on your eyelid, just below your eyebrows. If, on the other hand, doctors operate on your lower eyelid, they will open the incision on your lower eyelid just below your eyelashes.
Who is the right candidate:
- People over 35 with droopy eyelids.
- People who are in good health and do not have certain illnesses, such as thyroid disorders, cardiovascular disease or diabetes.
- People who do not have eye problems, such as glaucoma and dry eyes.
- People who suffer from swelling under the eyes.
- People who have sagging skin and wrinkles around their eyes.
- People whose vision is impaired by sagging or exhausted upper eyelids.
- People who want younger, smoother eyelid skin.
What are the post-operative instructions for an eyelid lift?
You can promote the success of your operation by following specific instructions that help maintain results and reduce the risk of possible side effects.
- You may need to apply an ice pack to your eyelids for the first 24 hours after the operation.
- Try to sleep with your head elevated at 45 degrees for a week to reduce swelling.
- Avoid normal activities for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Continue to avoid aspirin and any blood thinners that could cause bleeding after the operation.
- Make sure you take a short walk every day, which will help reduce swelling and the risk of blood clots.
- Take your medications, including pain relievers and antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 6 weeks after the operation.
- Try not to smoke for five weeks after the operation, as this causes serious healing problems.
- You should avoid direct sunlight on the incision for better healing.
Due to the low cost of living and the high exchange rate between Turkish Lira and USD or Euro, it is inexpensive for a foreign patient to undergo different types of eyelid surgery in Turkey. Even your other expenses like transportation and accommodation will still be much cheaper than what they cost in other countries.
Depending on the specifics of your condition, our doctors will determine the examination process in detail.
Any additional charges may affect the cost. Therefore, discuss the price and method of payment with our consultants and doctor beforehand. Consultations are free.